Upstream solutions? WE are the upstream. WE are the ones who can (one by one) turn off our personal “plastics into the ocean” tap. When the gushing stream of plastics into the water, land and air is so huge it might seem that turning off (or turning down) our own little tap is almost meaningless.
This is absolutely NOT the case, and we all know it in our heart.
The habit of writing about intention, gratitude and actions is a powerful practice. We can make a “blue life” choice and write about it in our Blue Life Journal. We can then share our commitment and action on our social media, we talk about it in conversation with a friend, we turn down our tap.
More importantly, we connect with others who begin to do the same.
We may not be on an expedition in Indonesia, but thank goodness 5 Gyres IS!
We may not be measuring plastic across the oceans of the world and creating a network of innovators who can re-design materials, but thank goodness Cyrill Gutsch and Parley for the Oceans is.
Do not underestimate individual action repeated consistently. We are leading change where it will matter most. Our personal habits and choices will turn off the taps where it is need most – UPSTREAM from the plastic garbage patches killing our oceans. (Get your Blue Life Journal and start today)
Never think your choices are less important – remember that collectively we created the problem as a human member of the plastics dilemma. Together, we are the ones who will solve it.
The time is NOW to engage
the future stewards of the ocean in the process.
The optimism, perspective and ideas of youth are exactly what we all need. For that reason, we offer a Blue Life Curriculum to teachers in grades 4-8 at NO CHARGE. It includes:
- Comprehensive Teacher handbook
- All slide decks (with online video)
- List of each You Tube video for ease in obtaining “green light” for use in the classroom
- Scripts for each slide deck (PDF)
- Worksheets for each slide deck (Google Forms and PDF)
- PDF (printable) copies of the Blue Life Journal for Kids
- Explanation and Alignment to standards (Technology, writing, character education, environment, STEM careers, Service Learning)
- Access to additional/optional activities
- Resources and Supplemental Materials for expanding as interest dictates
If you are interested in learning more, fill out the form on our CONTACT page. If you already have a program that includes journal writing, character education, environmental studies, a “green” club or a focus on STEM careers, you will love the Blue Life Curriculum.